Saturday, October 21, 2006

Wednesday, October 18


Wednesday started with the wonderful 0530 wake-up call followed by a hot breakfast at 0600. At 0745 we were scheduled to begin our testing for the Land Navigation (Land Nav). However, because an Unexploded Ordinance had been found on the course on Tuesday our instructors were forced to postpone the test until that afternoon. So our morning began with classes held under the trees which consided of ITT. What that consists of is us crawling on the ground. Up that is me in that pic performing the "Low Crawl". I am not going to lie, it is really difficult. We did not have to go far, but it is really trying.
After lunch the temperature rose to the upper 90s/low 100s. At 1300 we began the prep for the Land Nav test. Our instrictors reviewed the rules with us and then handed out our 8-digit grid points. We had four pointson our list and we had to find three of the to pass. This was an individual exercise but half of us were out on the course at a time. We stepped out of the Forward Operation Base (FOB) on to the course with 3 hours to come back. I do not think I can express how HOT is was. We were each issued a whistle in case of emergency and had instrictors positioned throughout the course in case something happened. Well, a few people had to use their whistle as they were at the point of passing out from the heat and being dehydrated. Upon returning to the FOB we were allowed to head back to our tents and cool off in the A/C. My uniform was soaking wet from sweat. While on the course we still had all of our gear on our backs including our weapon and our gas masks. It was so difficult. Climbing the hills to get to our points was such a struggle. I thought I was going to pass out on the way to my second point and then again on the way back to the FOB following finding my final point. It was ridiculously hot!!! I returned with an hour to spare so I had plenty of time to cool off and change in the tent. While I was cooling off others were still returning from the course. As we returned we had to check in and then get our points checked. While in line people began to fall out like dominos. Yup, people were literally falling out of the line as they passed out from being too hot. It was nuts! We had 20-25 heat casualties. We had two in my tent. I was then assigned to take care of them the rest of the evening. I felt to bad for them. They were miserable even after the IV fluids they received. Most everyone was better but still slow the following morning. (By the way, I passed!) My points were: NH 38518306 (start point), NH39768303, NH40488265, NH39108271, and NH38748257.
That evening after the hot diner was again spent reviewing the M16, M9, and such with lights out at 2200.

4 comments:

Anita said...

How intense! I would have been a casualty hands down. Heat is not and has never been my suit. I would have died! Way to make the Burdine clan proud! Thank you Lord for strength for each day and each moment! I'm glad you passed!

Bean Pie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Natalie said...

Beth, you're a lifesaver!!! LOL! Tim remembers very little from OBC, besides that it was easier than basic training. ;) He didn't even remember that his filter on his gas mask wasn't working at OBC, until I reminded him the other night... he doesn't remember anything else about that gas chamber, besides (as usual) "Basic was worse." :P As far as he was concerned, it was a piece of cake compared to his enlisted training, so he doesn't really remember it at all... but it's important for ME to remember everything he's done anyway, because it still means a lot to ME. :) He wrote me a few letters during this FTX to bring back to our apt with him, but they were pretty much, "Busy day, this stuff is easy, I'm tired, I miss you." ;) I'd gone online hoping that someone had blogged about OBC, and here you are! :) :) :) Thanks for that. :) Glad someone thinks these things are worth remembering! :)