Saturday, October 07, 2006

Columbus Rocks!



Federal holidays are amazing! Because Monday is Columbus Day we have the day off! Even better, we were given Friday as a "training day off". Translation, I am in the middle of a FOUR-DAY WEEKEND! Can you guess how stoked I am?!?

This past week was fun. One of my favorite parts was getting to put all of our gear together for our trip to the field in a week. We had to put together our packs and helmets. I had no idea how to do everything neither did the girls I hangout with it so the boys helped us out. We ordered pizza and hungout in the 2nd floor lobby and had a few good laughs at each other. Everyone seemed to have a good time. (That is Cpt. Todd Hulen helping to put together a pack.)

So far this weekend we have been pretty low key. We went out to lunch at the Rainforest Cafe on the Riverwalk. I had never eaten at one and I loved it! What a fun environment. (Although I would never be able to work there as it could very quickly become too overwhelming.) Later that night we went to see "The Departed". Martin Scorsese is brilliant but there was a little more violence and usage of the "F-Bomb" than I was expeting. Today we went to the Colmo River and "tubed". It was great. An hour and a half of floating down a river with good conversation with friends was a great way to start the day.

And to answer a popular question...no, I am not yet tired of wearing the same thing everyday. It is actually nice not to have to think about what to wear or what to do with my hair (you know, ponytail or ponytail).

A week from now we will be in the field at Camp Bolis. I cannot wait. It will be very different and difficult, but I am very excited to play "soldier".

Hey APU SONers! I would love to answer any questions you have. Look me up in the Cougar's Den E-mail system as I should still be there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you are having a great time. I am so glad about that! I hear you about the classes... miss you and so glad you are loving it.

Anonymous said...

Hey sis, just have to share the I first read Bolis and boils and was highly entertained. Glad you're having such a good time. I'm still on the job hunt out here, blah.

Do you guys get this fri off too? Craig said he was told they might be getting it another training holiday, which would make his last week in SWIC only three days. (assuming he gets into selection and doesn't get sent through it again just for fun, yay army organization)

Anita said...

High five to Cpt. Hulen on the John Deere shirt. Nice choice in apparrel!

Bean Pie