Thursday, October 12, 2006

I want tomorrow morning to pass quickly

Tomorrow we have our first PT (Physical Training) test. We are meeting at a glorious 0515 for morning formation (fancy method of roll call). The push-ups begin promptly following the raising of the colors (0535). Following the push-ups (I only have to do 17!) we will have a ten minute break and then will begin the sit-ups (only have to do 50!). We will have another 10 minute break and then hit the track for the 2-mile run. I have to be under 19:37. Thankfully I am can easily finish in about 18:00. The down side is that we are expecting rain. The only thing that could postpone the test would be lightening. So, we are planning on looking like the old army movies as we do our push-ups and sit-ups in the rain and mud in our shorts and t-shirts. It will be great. I am really looking forward to getting this over with.
Today our new student leadership was announced. We change these positions every two weeks. I have been chosen to be my squad leader. Usually this is a cake position as all we do is go to class. But for the next two weeks we will be at Camp Bollis sleeping in tents, qualifying on the M16 and M9, working on our mounted and dismounted land navigation skills, learning how to storm a building like the SWAT teams, and so much more. And the squad leaders are supposed to know what they are doing. HA! Let's just say that this will be an adventure (and it is supposed to rain off and on all next week). It is going to be hard, but I cannot wait to get there and learn how to be a soldier. Oh, and today we were issued our NBC (nuclear, biologic, chemical) gear. Yup, I will be walking into a brick building with a gas mask on and then be required to take it off and breathe in the fumes while performing specific tasks before being able to leave. I am hoping I can have one of our instructors take pictures of me while I do this so I can show people how sick I will probably come out.

2 comments:

Anita said...

Good luck on your PT test! The rain might be welcoming if it cools things off some. You've got a full and exciting week ahead...your learning curve will be huge! Have a blast, you'll do awesome!

Bean Pie

Anonymous said...

I hope your mom doesn't read this!