Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pediatric Cardiac Clinic Day


Earlier this week I was fortunate enough to participate in a once in a lifetime event. The 47th CSH participated in a Pediatric Cardiac Clinic. Twelve children from Tikrit Teaching Hospital and their families were pre-screened then invited to the CSH to been seen by our Pediatricians and Cardiologists. While I do not know and probably cannot give out all the details anyway I can say that we are not planning treatment here at the CSH. I believe there is an outside party who will soon be playing a huge role in this event.


I saw some amazingly beautiful children whose lives have been physically hindered by some very serious cardiac issues. Yet these kids were all smiles! We had a blast hanging out and playing with them while they waited their turn to see the doctors. The actual assessments were painless and thankfully we were able to keep the kids pretty calm throughout the event. Our Cardiologists played a huge role in keeping everything running pretty smoothly. Hey Nurse Friends, the kid in the pic on the left is having a Tet Spell. Remember that one?


I spent as much time as I could with the Doc who was preforming the actual Echocardiograms and asked a lot of questions. While he was pretty focused on finding the best images he could he take some time to explain some of what he was seeing. I am amazed at what I was able to see. These kids are all amazing for what they are surviving with.

I wish I could tell you more, just know that that day was one of the most rewarding days of my life knowing what may lie ahead for some of these kids.

No comments: