Friday, December 29, 2006

My Holiday Travels


Random story for you.

During my red-eye from CA to DC I awoke at 0200 to the flight attendant speaking over the intercom requesting that "any doctor or nurse on board to please report to the front of the aircraft." I was hoping she was kidding but when she asked a second time I got up. I checked in the with the flight attendant helping a passenger who stated that the other gentleman was a doctor with her. ("Yes, off the hook!") She then continued and asked that I go check on the other passenger. Yup, there were two! The passenger I assisted had been a little light-headed but felt much better after returning to her seat and being placed on oxygen. After a quick history and assessment I returned to my seat as I believed she would be fine until we landed and medical crews came on board to assess both her and the other passenger.

I thought this only happened in the movies! Here I am with little actual experience trying to assess and care for a passenger on a plane with almost no supplies. I am hoping that since I have now done my good deed as a nurse that I am off the hook for the rest of my career as I travel...yeah right!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that's just cool - you go girl ;O)

Anonymous said...

My dad had to do that once! It was weird! Well, congrats you official nurse, you! (Doesn't it just feel weird every now and then to just stop and realize that you are a professional person... and adult?!!!)