Sunday, September 10, 2006

An Officer and a Nurse


Hello friends and family! Yes, the rumors are true. I am an Officer in the United States Army and a Registered Nurse in the wonderful State of California!

Allow me to elaborate on my answer to the famous "what are you doing after college" question. I am preparing to leave the San Francisco Bay Area and move to Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX for 10 weeks of Officer Basic Course (OBC). Upon arrival at Ft. Sam I will formally be known as Second Lieutenant (2LT) Beth. Strange, I know! While at OBC I will be taking courses introducing me to the Army and its customs, spending four weeks getting "infantry trained", and taking leadership courses. Prior to graduating from OBC in mid-December I will also be required to take a course known as Trauma Nurse Core Course (TNCC). Every nurse in the Army is required to complete this course as we are all eligible for deployment at all times.

Once I graduate from OBC I will be moving to Maryland as I will be stationed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC. I am to report for duty on January 2, 2007. While at Walter Reed, I will be living with former Azusa Pacific University School of Nursing classmate (and soon to also be a Second Lieutenant) Rebecca Spencer. Yes, I am aware that December/January is not the best time for a California girl to be moving to the East Coast, but it is what Uncle Sam has "requested" me to do, so I will do it. My orders have me at Walter Reed until September of 2009 at which point I will either leave the Army or remain on the active duty roster and work my way towards getting my Master's Degree.

The photo is from my informal commissioning as a 2LT at Azusa Pacific University following being "pinned" as a graduate nurse on May 5, 2006. Captian Warren Stewart a fellow Army Nurse is leading me through the Oath of Office in which I promise to "defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States".

You can also find me on MySpace if you so choose. It is a little less formal but there are and will be more pictures available on that site. Give me until October before you start looking for current pictures. http://www.myspace.com/bhultgren

No comments: