Wednesday, September 27, 2006

First Salute as a 2LT

Today was a few firsts. It was my first formal morning of physical training (PT) with my company and platoon. It was a light morning with most time spent teaching us direct commissions how everything works. It was light but still a good workout.

Following the workout we all returned to our rooms to clean up and put on our Army Combat Uniforms (ACUs) for the first time for most of us as Officers. Walking to class I was saluted for the first time as a Second Lieutenant. It was an amazing feeling. Throughout the day I saluted my superiors and was saluted by the Enlisted members of the Army. It was amazing but weird at the same time. Because I have no prior service and personally have not done anything to earn the resepct I receive it will take a while to get used to. It is amazing to be a part of such an important aspect of our freedom here in the United States.

Today's breifings were the standard seminars that you would have to get anywhere you worked. We were formally welcomed by our Brigade Commander who is a Colonel. He was very business-like but also very polite. Following lunch we had a briefing regarding spying and espianage. Just remember that loose lips sink ships!

Tomorrow is a later start as we do not report until 0730 to get our gear checked out to us for field training. It is not happening for a few weeks, but since the next few weeks will be spent in the classroom this is the best time for it.

The picture is of some of the girls I hangout with. Second Lieutenants Scott and Baumann and Captain Boseski. It is fun to get to train with people from so many different career backgrounds and career ambitions. While there are aspects that are not easy, we all seem to be having a good time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is surreal Beth, I'm proud of you!

Anonymous said...

It is so weird that I found your blog. Captain Boseski is my sister and I am glad that you have pictures available for me to see how she is doing. I am also a nurse in NJ. Please let Captain Boseski know her little sister Beth said hello.