Saturday, July 16, 2011

Women's World Cup: Team USA




Team USA v Team Japan in the Championship game


Team USA 2 : Team Japan 2


Penalty Kick Shootout to decide the game

Team USA 1 : Team Japan 3


Congratulations to Team Japan on their first World Championship!



Everyone has their favorite teams. Whether it is baseball, football, hockey, basketball, golf (is golf a sport?), everyone seems to have that one team they root for. Since 1994 I have followed the US Women's' National Soccer Team. Ask my mom about the posters that covered my closet doors, you couldn't even see the doors themselves.

From Michelle Akers to Mia Hamm to Abby Wambach and Ali Krieger, I can tell you all about their game.

This time I watched the World Cup via the internet. While at work (I work 62 hour shifts) I don't have access to AFN (Armed Forces Network) and our internet is shut down after unfortunate events that occur locally. I was able to watch the USA v Brazil game while at the gym. (Who knew I could run for that long?!?) What an amazing game!!! I was bummed to miss the Championship game but read all about it as soon as our internet came up about 18 hours later. While I was bummed that the US did not win I was super stoked that they were in the Championship game. They had not made it to the level of the World Cup since they won in 1999 at the Rose Bowl.

Well played Team USA!!! I am excited to see what happens in London in 2012!

No comments: