Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rocking Out

The world of medicine and surgery is a stressful one. In the blink of an eye a patient's status can change and what was going to be an easy shift has become the longest 12-hours of my life. But when my 12-hours are over, I get in my car and drive to the safety and comfort of my home. At least that is what my "other" life is like.
Here, I never know when I am going to go to work. I live at work, literally. I, along with my teammate and a physician, live in a tent with mere plywood walls giving us our own space. A large air conditioning unit sits just outside my head, about 2 feet from where I sleep. Helicopters and airplanes of different nations are taking off and landing at all hours of the day and night. In fact, when it gets quiet is when I can't sleep.
My best days are still the worst days of someone else's life. I am reminded almost daily that the gift of life is something that can change with one breath, one step, or one missed communication. The adrenaline rush is indescribable when working on a patient in the back of a C-130. There is nothing like this at home. It is addicting. It is why I wanted to come back, it is why I stayed.
While en route to a patient pick up, in an attempt to keep my adrenaline rush under control and to keep myself from getting too connected to what is about to happen, I have started to play my mandolin. Since I am not very good, it is a little embarrassing to play at the compound. On the plane, no one can hear me. I can "rock out" while looking like an idiot but since no one can hear me, I sing even louder!
One afternoon, one of the loadmasters on my crew snapped a picture. I had no idea until he showed me later. I think I am up to 8 chords, so I have a long way to go. Thankfully, I have plenty of flight hours ahead of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth - When you get home, we will need to dig out your great grandmother Alma's mandolin. I believe she bought it before your grandmother Elizabeth was born, making the mandolin more that 100 years old. But it has never been in an airplane because Alma never flew anywhere. Those were different days. It may be older than the Wright brothers' first flight. - Dad