Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chest Seals vs. the Rain Storm

And I am spending yet another rainy season in the desert of the Middle East. There really is no comparing Iraq and Afghanistan other than to say that at times we are in the middle of the desert where it seems time has forgotten. Everything seems to primitive. The people of Afghanistan have been surviving on so little compared to our flashy materialistic lifestyle in the States. It has been an interesting lesson to re-learn.

Okay, now the real reason for this post...the rainy season! The Camp I am living on is in the middle of desert. There is not much of a drainage system for rain, but since they don't get much of it I guess i t is not a big deal. Except for the last few days. Wow! It has rained buckets!!! Drainage ditches throughout the camp are full and our tents all seem to have a few leaks in them. My floor is half saturated since I live in a tent with no "tent floor". And there is a hole right above my bed. Thankfully I have a bunk bed, so the water leaking in hits the top bunk (no one lives up there). But in an effort to fix the problem, I placed a chest seal over the hole. And then another. And then another. And then another.... I even re-supported the tent ceiling with some small straps to take the "sag" out of it.

End result is we made it through the night with no leaks. Now to wait till the next storm to see what happens...

No comments: