Saturday, June 25, 2011

FIFA Women's World Cup


I have followed the United States Women's National Soccer Team since the mid-90's. As a kid I played soccer in the local community leagues and a little in high school. My closet doors were covered with posters and magazine articles about this team. I even have a lunch box of the team that I use everyday when I go to work. (I get a lot of fun comments on my lunch box)


This year the World Cup is being played in Germany. When a good friend from Walter Reed AMC CPT Katie Casper moved to Landstuhl, Germany a year ago we began to plan a 2011 summer vacation in Europe. The first week for me would be spent at soccer games and events while she still worked. The second week would be spent touring around. Plans changed a little (okay, a lot) when Katie received her orders to deploy to Afghanistan with the 115th Combat Support Hospital. I was still planning to head over to Germany for the 2 weeks of fun this summer until I received word of my deployment.


So instead of taking 2 weeks in Germany to watch some soccer, I am watching the US Women's Team play on AFN (Armed Forces Network) while in uniform and a loaded M9 on my hip. Just a little different than what I had planned.


The World Cup started the same day I officially deployed. Even though my adventure is a little different, I still got to start at the same time...


Good Luck Team USA!!!


Follow their blog HERE

No comments: