Monday, April 30, 2007

Thought I was done with Charge

I showed up to work yesterday a little early. I had spent the night at my cousin's home in Virginia so I had left a little earlier than normal to be sure I would not be late to work. I showed up on my floor at 0620 to the question of "Are you going to be Charge today?" The nurse who was scheduled to be charge had car trouble and would not be able to make it in. (He was fine, his car would not start.) My biggest concern was then getting an extra nurse floated over to the my floor to cover some of the patients. There were three nurses on the floor, one nurse at the telemetry monitor, and one CNA on the floor. We have rather high acuity (lots of physical needs) patients on the floor and the charge nurse is only supposed to take two patients at the most preferably take none. We all started out the morning with four patients, no big deal. But thankfully the supervisor was able to get me an extra nurse from one of our ICUs to come take a patient from each one of us. By the end of the day, we had transferred one patient upstairs to a surgical ward and did not receive any admissions or transfers in. It ended up being a great day on the floor. Since we all worked so well together as a team we all had some down time to hangout and talk. I really like those rare moments when we are able to get to know each other a little more. We were so on top of things we were all able to leave early. We are supposed to be there until 1915, but the next shift of nurses all came on time and got report done so we could leave. It was wonderful! I hope to have more days like that one giving me time to get to know those I work with a little better. Plus, I feel like I had earned an easier day after the past week I had on the floor.

No comments: