Monday, April 02, 2007

First Day On My Own


Every new RN should be as blessed as I was today. Today was my first day on my own (off orientation). I was kind of dredding it as I was sure the board would be full and we would be under staffed as usual. But to my surprise, we had 3 RNs on the floor, 1 to sit Tele, and 1 who was placed on-call. A full staff! But even better, we were able to place our LPN on-call because we only had 6 patients! We are a 14-bed unit that is usually packed. Transfer one out or discharge someone home, and within 2 hours the bed will be full again. Each RN on the floor was assigned 2 patients for the day. My two were awesome! I discharged one to home at lunch (putting me up for the first admission) and my second one went to the Fischer House on pass to hangout with his family. So for four hours in the afternoon I had no patients! As I will be Charge this Friday, the current charge nurse allowed me to shadow her a little more to be sure I knew all the little tasks I would need to complete. I actually had time to sit and talk with one of our agency nurses and get to know her. It was great! A rare day on my floor. But a welcome one!

No comments: