Friday, April 20, 2007

Finished with Charge for the month!

And thank the Lord for being done! So far this month (my first month on my own as a new RN) I have worked eight 12-hour shifts. Five of those shifts have been as the Charge Nurse. First time was a little scary but the next few not so bad. This Wednesday was rough as the patient acuity was pretty high and we had a patient receiving many VIP visitors. The nursing staff was great, but wow! were we busy. During lunch our Assistant Head Nurse called a mock-code for me to run along with another new nurse. Our dummy made it, but it was a little crazy. Thursday there were some awesome nurses on the floor that I got to work with plus we were able to discharge and transfer out a few patients in the afternoon. I am really glad that I learned along time ago not to sweat the small stuff and to focus all my energy on the patients and fellow staff on the floor.
Only four more shifts this month! My hours rock!

No comments: