Sunday, October 22, 2017

Even One Life is Too Many

This is my final month on island. My next adventure takes me back to mainland. It has been just under three and a half years here and there have been many ups and downs.
 

There are more than twenty-two reasons why.
My high points were fun to share with those around me. I had the privilege of working with and meeting some amazing people. The beauty of the island (well, once away from all the tourist locations) is something that I will always be thankful for.
 
My downs took me to places in my head that scared even me. I was faced with some situations that really challenged me.
 
More than anything from my ups and downs, I have learned that I cannot do life alone. I am like everyone else in that people need people. As expected, this was a difficult lesson to learn but I am thankful for the relationships that developed and those that have becoming some of the most meaningful I have ever known.
 
Things can change so quickly. While we so often think we are indestructible, there is so much we cannot control. What we can do is control how we respond to our surroundings and the events that impact us. This has taken me years to gain back, but am so thankful that I have. And so thankful that I have people to vent to and confide in.
 
photo: mthieli


Even one life is too many to lose.
While we should do this daily, I encourage you on the 22nd of every month to call and check your battle buddy. It takes just a moment. Military or not, we deserve to see each other tomorrow.

 #twloha

 Crisis Text Line 741-741

- a safe place to talk via text with a counselor when you can't or are afraid to use your voice

No comments: