Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day


I was tasked today to provide medical support to the Memorial Day Service at Arlington National Cemetery. Walter Reed supplied the ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support) Team consisting of 1 Emergency Physician, 1 ICU (ALCS/PALS) Nurse, and 3 Combat Medics. We worked with the Regimental Aid Station Medics to set up stations around the event to provided any emergency care needed. The Emergency Physician Dr Heavy and I were placed in a central location in which we could "quickly respond" if needed. Thankfully, we were not needed during today's events.
Dr Heavy is pushing our gurney back towards our ambulance. Behind me is President Obama. We were roughly 20-30 feet away from him at our closest. (Thanks to my new former Air Force Secret Service friend!)
And holy heck was it hot in those jackets. I all showed up in our Class B uniforms (dress pants and dress shirt without the formal jacket). I was hoping for a nice cross-breeze to help keep us cool. When we arrived we learned that we had to wear the black jackets with a red cross on our shoulders. Those jackets were crazy hot in that heat. While we all looked sharp, I feel really bad for the 1LT that I borrowed the jacket from.
A shorter than normal day as it started at 0400 and I was home by 1400. A mere 10-hour day. What great day!

2 comments:

Anita said...

WOW! You are at a great station (DC) for events and holidays such as these. How cool to be so close to all the events!

Bean Pie

Britta Klint said...

Way cool, Beth! I am moving to DC tonight! When do you leave?