Monday, March 12, 2007

MG Schoomaker and Secretary Gates


Each day at work I am reminded why I chose the US Army Nurse Corps and not a hospital back in CA. Every Wouned Warrior that I have the privilege to care for has been an amazing opportunity to serve.

Sunday night I had the opportunity to witness the awarding of a Purple Heart to a soldier who was recently transferred to Walter Reed. Awarding the Purple Heart was the new Commanding General of Walter Reed MG Schoomaker and Defense Secretary Gates. Also there were the mother and the father of this Wounded Warrior. It was an honor to be a witness to the presentation of this ribbon.

I only wish I could find the words to describe the amazing sense of humility that comes over you when you witness these moments. I can only hope that my fellow nursing school graduates expereince moments similar to this one with their patients.

No comments: