Thursday, September 22, 2016

Even One Life is Too Many



I work in a very different world than so many of my friends and family. It is a world where I am surrounded by the best and worst days of complete strangers. I share my time between the adult and pediatric intensive care units. I am part of an amazing team of physicians, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists, nurses, dietitians, housekeepers, and maintenance team members (just to name a few). I am one small brushstroke in the masterpiece that is patient care in my current facility.
I believe it to be a privilege to be present and provide care for the patient and their family during difficult times and decisions. I can only imagine that some of the hardest decisions made for family members is done at the bedside of their loved one.
The uncomfortable conversations with family members and those we love are so important. Have those conversations.
And today especially, it is a day to remember to check in on our friends and family. Life can take an unexpected turn at any moment.

 

 Even one life is too many to lose.


 While we should do this daily, I encourage you on the 22nd of every month to call and check your battle buddy. It takes just a moment. Military or not, we deserve to see each other tomorrow.

 

 #twloha

 
 Crisis Text Line 741-741
 - a safe place to talk via text with a counselor when you can't or are afraid to use your voice

No comments: