Sunday, November 22, 2015

Buddy Check 22

The twenty-second of the month is here. It is a day every month that reminds me that I am not alone, there are others that have struggled and continue to. As a friendly ghost once reached out to buddy check me three years ago, today is a day that I chose to ensure someone I care about will be here tomorrow.

Every day, an average of twenty-two veterans and active duty service members take their own lives.
That is twenty-two too many.

While we should do this daily, I encourage you on the twenty-second of every month to call and check your battle buddy. Military or not, we deserve to see each other tomorrow.

 
 
When I came home last time, I returned to a work environment that did not mentally or academically challenge me. I quickly became bored in many aspects of my life that led to additional problems making life increasingly difficult. In casual conversation, my Company Commander mentioned that she was in grad school part-time. As work had become a place of boredom and frustration, I decided to give grad school a try.

I have taken my time with the program I chose. I probably could be done with it by now had I not taken intermittent time off. But I am glad I did. The course work itself is not difficult, but the idea of completing this degree simply because "I want to" has made this worth it. 
 
Having deadlines that have nothing to do with my work environment helped me maintain a form of structure and order in my life. Something I desperately needed. While at times grad school has been tedious, it has been one of the best decisions I have made. Graduate school has been a form of my own personal buddy check.
 
 
#twloha
#buddycheck22
 
 
Crisis Text Line 741-741
 - a safe place to talk via text with a counselor when you can't or are afraid to use your voice


No comments: