Monday, December 31, 2012

In Review

I started this year deployed to Afghanistan working as a Critical Care Nurse in Regional Command- South. The previous 6 months were spent working with an Army DUSTOFF unit in Regional Command - East. There are some amazing friendships that came from this deployment. There are some experiences and memories that have and will continue to shape who I am and will be.
 
I saw a lot. I heard a lot. I did a lot. I endured a lot.
 
At the close of my deployment, I was ready to get home. I was ready to begin the recovery phase of deployment. I was wanting to start the healing process.
 
I thought I was strong enough. I was not.
 
My 30-day leave was voluntarily cut short. I was still hurting, still felt lost. I arrived home to WA to a Leadership that was scared for me and afraid they did not know what to do. It was a learning experience for us both.
 
Holidays were spent with family, the people that no matter what happens will continue to love me and support me as I work to get my feet back on solid ground.
 
Now I sit in my own apartment. First time in over 18 months that I have been on my own. It is so quiet. The lack of sound is something that I am sure I will grow accustomed to, but for now it is strange.
 
2012 has been a challenge. A challenge that would not want to have missed out on, but one I wish could have been a little easier.
 
My hope for 2013 is that I continue to heal and learn from my experiences. I hope that this year is easier and safer. I hope that I can sit here again next year and tell you happier stories.
 
To my family and friends that have loved me unconditionally,
I am forever grateful for your presence in my life. The encouraging emails, text messages, phone calls, and visits have been what has kept me grounded. Thank you for never leaving me. Thank you holding me up when I was too weak to carry on.
 
 
Sergeant Eric E Williams
July 23, 2012
"do good things"


No comments: