Friday, January 22, 2016

Buddy Check 22

 
Every day, an average of twenty-two veterans and active duty service members take their own lives.

That is twenty-two too many.

While we should do this daily, I encourage you on the 22nd of every month to call and check your battle buddy. Military or not, we deserve to see each other tomorrow.
 
 
 
 
This is my new roommate rainBeau Jangles. He started his life in the Los Angeles area and was moved to the PNW to be adopted. A good friend (and by default her family) had been helping me look for a dog and found this guy for me. I am different around dogs. I feel safe to have or express some emotion. I am responsible for his care. It is my responsibility to make sure he feels loved and is a happy dog. Getting a dog was something I had thought about for about two and a half years, but it just never felt like the right time (does that even exist?). Once Beau was found and adopted, he had to wait for the 120 day rabies pseudo-quarantine (if he came to Hawaii right away he would live in a kennel and not get to play or he could stay on the mainland until the 120 days was up and be loved). He spent most of his time at a board and train facility south of Seattle that absolutely adored him. He learned what it is to have human friends and how to communicate with them. It turned out to be the best thing for him. I got to visit him and train with him on two separate trips (and got to spend time with friends at the same time, the best trips!).
He has only been in Hawaii with me for a short time, but I already know that he is the best thing that could have happened to me while living here. Welcome to Hawaii rainBeau Jangles! More importantly, welcome to my home!
 
 #twloha
#buddycheck22
 
Crisis Text Line 741-741
 - a safe place to talk via text with a counselor when you can't or are afraid to use your voice


No comments: