Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Buddy Check 22



Every day, an average of twenty-two veterans and active duty service members take their own lives.

That is twenty-two too many.

While we should do this daily, I encourage you on the twenty-second of every month to call and check your battle buddy. Military or not, we deserve to see each other tomorrow.



There was a time this past year that I was pretty unhappy. Actually it started in 2014 and hit its worst in October of that year. I had started to make some poor decisions in my daily life trying to avoid the hurt and all too often emotional numbness. I finally realized that I needed help and was forced to make better choices. Admitting to myself that I needed help was frustrating, disappointing. The irrational thought of inconveniencing or burdening someone with what was going on at the time was enough to keep me from asking for help from friends or family.

Since October 2014 there have been highs, lows, and emotional numbness. But I am still here.

There are times I feel like a hypocrite for encouraging others to talk when they are hurting while I have yet to be able to open up. As always, it takes time.
 
 
 
When you begin to be honest with someone, in writing or simply in conversation, the honesty becomes contagious. When we tell our story and the stories that matter to us, it invites other people to do the same.
- Jamie Tworkowski


#twloha
#buddycheck22
 
Crisis Text Line 741-741
 - a safe place to talk via text with a counselor when you can't or are afraid to use your voice

No comments: