Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rare Honesty

A rare moment of honesty...

I don't publish what is really going on in my life. I can't. In part because of the permanent gag order that all US Service Members are placed under when we voluntarily join but also because what I see and do is painful. It hurts physically, mentally, and emotionally.

This month has been rough. There is a lot of suffering in Afghanistan and I have spent the last 7 months seeing it first hand. The realization that I may only get today to say "thank you" or "i love you" sinks in deeper and deeper with each passing day. Before going to bed every night I look at a website (http://www.militarytimes.com/valor/) that lists the names and pictures of our Fallen Heroes. I don't want to ever forget why I am here. I am here for them. I am here our Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen who risk their lives everyday to help free a people of land mines in their farm fields and improvised explosive devices in their roads. I am here to get our Service Members home. It can at times be a overwhelming responsibility.


Today, I had an opportunity to smile. My effort to encourage someone else has come back to encourage me. Before moving to Camp Bastion in the Helmand Province, I flew some flags while on mission with the 82nd Airborne's Dustoff to say thank you and to encourage. Pay it forward, see how it can make your day as well.


Click the picture to see where one of my flags ended up.

1 comment:

Amy said...

NICE!!!!