Saturday, November 12, 2011

Staying in Afghanistan



So, things have changed here a little. What was originally a 6-month deployment to Afghanistan has turned into a full 12-months of deployment. Here is a little of the back story:


Before I had even left for Fort Benning for pre-deployment training, I was approached by my Clinical Nurse Officer in Command (my boss) asking if I would be willing to extend my deployment. At the time with the way the numbers were looking, there would be no one to replace me here in Afghanistan when I would be scheduled to return home. I did not say yes at that time but agree with my boss that I would spend a few months here before saying yes or no. At the end of August I again spoke with my bosses both back at home and here in Afghanistan and made the decision to submit the paperwork for the 6-month extension. A few weeks ago I was informed that the extension had been approved and that I would be staying.


However, I am not scheduled to stay in the same location. Currently I am working with rotary-wing MEDEVAC in Regional Command - East (RC-E). Sometime in December I should be moving to the South to work with the Air Force to complete the fixed-wing MEDEVAC. It is a move that I am looking forward to. While I have enjoyed working with the rotary-wing MEDEVAC, I am ready for a change. I will miss the friendships that I have made here but am excited at what lies ahead.

Since I am moving in December, Christmas is going to be very different this year. Last deployment we had a huge party for the entire Combat Support Hospital. I will not be stationed at a hospital, but I am confident the Air Force knows how to party!

Any packages that are being sent probably need to be done so by November 16 to my current address. As soon as I get a new address I will be sure to post it.

Thank you for your love and support. I miss you all!

2 comments:

A Brown said...

Looks like you'll need more care packages!!! Please email over a Christmas list so we can get that in the mail for ya!!

Miss you Beth! I hope and pray that all is going well for you!

Amy and Sam

bevanjd@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.